Hi, How Can We Help You?

Student Guardian Visa

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

This visa generally allows you to take care of a student who is under 18years of age. You can provide assistance to more than 1 student at a time.

Once the visa is granted, you can stay in Australia till the date specified on your visa grant letter. If you wish to extend your stay, you can always apply for a further Student Guardian Visa.

You cannot bring any family members under 6 years of age. If your family member is over 6yers, they need to apply for their own student visa.


  • Application fee for the main applicant: AUD620.00
  • Additional Charges for dependants: AUD470.00

Processing time

No processing time is provided

Visa conditions

8101 – No work

You must not work in Australia.

This means when in Australia, you must not do work that a person would normally get paid for.

8201 – Maximum 3 months study

You can study up to 20 hours a week on an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

8501 – Maintain adequate health insurance

You must have and maintain adequate health insurance for the whole of your stay in Australia.

8502 – Not arrive before person specified in the visa

You must not enter Australia before the person specified in the visa has entered Australia. This is usually the main visa holder or another relevant person such as your sponsor in the case of a Partner visa.

8516 – Continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa

You must continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa.

8534 – No further stay

While you are in Australia, we will not grant you a new substantive visa, other than:

  • a Subclass 485 (Temporary Graduate) visa, or
  • a Subclass 590 (Student Guardian) visa, or
  • a Protection visa

8537 – Live with the student and provide for their accommodation, support and welfare

You must live in Australia while the nominating student is in Australia.

While you and the nominating student are in Australia, you must:

  • stay with them
  • provide them with appropriate accommodation
  • support them
  • provide for their general welfare

8538 – Not leave Australia without the student without our approval

You must not leave Australia without the student without our approval.

If you need to leave Australia without the student you are caring for (the nominating student), you must first prove to us:

  • there are compassionate and compelling reasons for leaving Australia without the student
  • you have made alternative arrangements for the student’s accommodation, support and general welfare