Hi, How Can We Help You?

Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)

Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)

This Permanent visa is for those elderly people whose most of the children have been living in Australia as an Australian citizen (settled)*, a permanent resident of Australia or a New Zealand (eligible) citizen to stay temporarily in Australia.

This Partner Visa allows the de facto Partner or Spouse of an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident of Australia or an eligible citizen of New Zealand to migrate to Australia Permanently.

*” Settled” means a person who must have been living in Australia for usually 2 years (for a reasonable period).

  • To say in a Nutshell, this Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864) is framed as a suitable alternative to the Subclass 143 visa.

Purpose (Subclass 864) Visa solves: –

  • Stay Time: – Let’s you dwell permanently in Australia.
  • Though it means a concerned person can now study in Australia with any academic program possible and perhaps for any organization.
  • You can enrol yourself in Australia with any beneficial health schemes.
  • You will also be entitled to all those privileges and rights which your offspring are enjoying over there.
  • Applicant (if eligible) will apply for citizenship in Australia.

Travelling: –

  • Applicant can travel from and to Australia as many times as he/she wants for 5 years from the grant of this visa.
  • In case you want to travel after the initial 5 year’s travel facility.
  • You will have to apply for and be granted a Resident-Return (RRV) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
  • If you become an Australian citizen then you don’t require a visa to enter Australia and can use it to travel and from Australia.

Family Members: –

  • Permission is granted for a concerned person applying for this mentioned visa to bring along
  • His/ her spouse
  • His/her offspring
  • Any other concerned family acquaintances.

Be Eligible to Apply for Subclass 864 Visa.

Role of the Sponsor: –

  • On top of all, the sponsor has to be above 18 years, along with that to be a legal holder of permanent citizenship in Australia.
  • Being a Sponsor, you must help your family members to help stay or settle in Australia. You need to provide them with financial and moral support along with sufficient space to live (for the first two years).

In case your child is not a sponsor (eligible), other persons by whom you can be sponsored are:

  • Your child’s partner
  • A family member or guardian of your child’s partner.
  • A family member or guardian of your child.
  • A community organization.

Community organizations are also allowed to sponsor your application by the Government to give that:

  • There must be a relationship between the organization and your child.
  • The senior agent of the organization must approve to sponsor you.
  • The legal stabilization of organizations is a must in Australia.
  • A minimum of one year running the organization is necessary for Australia.

The condition of financial stability is a must for the organization.
Place to apply from: –

  • You have to be in Australia, not anywhere else while applying for the visa.
  • You can apply it offline either through courier, postal service or by presenting yourself up physically at the concerned centre of visa.

The Balance-of-Family Test: –

This test shows that Applicant must have at least half of their children living there in Australia on a permanent visa


More of their children live in Permanent residence in Australia than in any other country.

  • Have paid Outstanding debt (if any) to the Australian Government: –

If an applicant or any family member of the applicant owes any debt to the Australian Government,

it must be paid back or at least have formal Arrangements to pay it back.

Australian Values Statement: –

  • You must sign the Australian values statement, which assures that you will abide by all Australian laws and will respect their way of living.

Assurance of Support: –

  • You need to own an AoS. An Assurance of Support assures the Australian government that you will not have to depend on the help of the Australian government after entering Australia on this visa.
  • This assurance is for other migrating family members too.

Apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent)(Subclass 864) visa.

  • It is a 2-step process.
  • The first step involves applying for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)(Subclass 884) visa.
  • The second step is to apply for 864 visas allows applicants to spread the cost of the visa over several years.

Steps Involved: –

Step 1. Before Applying: – just check.

  • If you are eligible.
  • If you have a Parent Sponsor(approved)
  • In case you do not have a Parent sponsor (approved) you can not apply or be granted this visa.

Step 2. Gather all Evidence: –

  • You need to provide all necessary documents, including those of dependents or partners who might be applied with you, for further proceedings. Arrange documents of your sponsor, too.

Step3. Visa Application: –

  • This visa needs to be applied on paper.
  • Also, you must be onshore, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply for this visa.

Step 4. After Applying: –

  • We will inform you after receiving your application and documents.
  • Might be you need to send more information.

Step5. The outcome of Visa: – You need to be onshore (except in immigration clearance) at the time of decision on your application.

  • During granting of your visa, we will inform you about your visa grant number, the date of start of your visa and its conditions.
  • In case of refusal of our visa, we will let you know the reason for the refusal and if you have a right to a review of the decision.
  • The application fee is non-refundable.

Family: –

  • While applying, the applicant can include members of the family too, in the application.
  • Details of the Applicant’s family member will be required to fill in the application form, whether or not they are migrating with the applicant.
  • Partner details will also be needed to be filled in the application form, even if they are applying with the applicant or not.
  • Family members, applying for the visa must qualify health and character requirements of the Australian Government.
  • Family members, even if not migrating to Australia might also have to qualify health and character requirements.

Not be eligible: –

  • In the case of a Previous Cancelled Visa.
  • Visa is not granted if it is not in the friendly interest of an applicant under 18 years of age.

Processing Time: –

  • Applications are subject to capping and queuing.
  • No Processing time is provided for this visa as family migration visas demand is high. It might take many years for granting this visa. Certain situations influence the testing time, such as time taken by external authorities, for instance, by police and health services and the government to conduct checks and provide information.
  • Application, however, also might take a longer time to process if not filled correctly.
  • All documents are not provided.
  • It takes time for us to verification of your information.


    OVER 18 UNDER 18
If you never have had a subclass 884 visa and applying for the first time $3,770 $1,880 $945
If you presently hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa.   If at the time of application you hold an altered Subclass 600 visa but held a subclass 884 previously.   If you held a Subclass 884 visa within 28 days instantly before applying for an 864 visas. $330 $170 $80
If you applied for an Aged Parent(Residence) (Class BP) visa before 1 July 2003 NIL NIL NIL

Second Installment:-

If you never held a Subclass 884 visa $43,600
If you held an 884 visa. The minister agrees that necessary and compassionate circumstances exist for you to still hold an 884 visa. If you held an 884 visa in the 28 days instantly before applying for an 864 visa. You hold an 884 visa while applying for 864 visas. You previously had an 884 visa, but hold a 600 visa while applying for the 864 visas.                                        $19,420

Extra Cost:-

AoS Bond Changes It allows costs of the welfare of the immigrants to be met by a permanent resident or Australian citizen
Medical Exam Changes Might be needed for each person on the application
Character clearance/ Police checks   Changes These fees need to be paid to police authorities in any country where you lived for 12 months or more

Obtaining the visa (In Australia): – You must

  • Abide by all Australian laws.
  • Check your visa expiry and its conditions.
  • This being a permanent visa lets you stay in Australia indefinitely from the grant of visa.

Travelling: –

  • In case you want to travel after the initial 5 year’s travel facility.
  • You will have to apply for and be granted a Resident-Return (RRV) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
  • If you become an Australian citizen then you don’t require a visa to enter Australia and can use it to travel and from Australia.

Bridging visas:-

  • If you are onshore as the holder of a valid visa (that is visitor visa) and you apply for a contributing parent (subclass 884/864) visa, you can be granted bridging visa “A” (BVA). This BVA entitles you to remain lawfully in Australia while Applicant’s visa application is under process.
  • Applicant’s BVA may cease depending upon if applicant travel outside Australia, so you then may have no right of re-entry into Australia.

So if in need to travel outside Australia, while your visa is under process, you need to first

obtain Bridging visa “B” (BVB), which allows limited travel during the processing of your

application in Australia.

  • 3 months of time (standard period) is allowed for travelling during the process of your application.
  • You can enjoy full work rights while the bridging visa is under effect.

Before Leaving Australia: –

  • Ensure you have a valid passport or other travel documents to leave Australia.
  • Check your visa validity.
  • Ensure you have a valid passport or other travel documents to leave Australia.
  • Check your visa validity.

Conditions for Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) (Subclass 864) Visa

There are no conditions attached to Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) (Subclass 864) Visa

Book an Appointment: –

  • We at Orange Global Consultants offer the much-needed help so as to convince the Australian Immigration authorities about your actual intention to stay and work in Australia.
  • We do everything possible to present you as a true candidate and that you will adhere to all rules and commitments during your stay in Australia.
  • Also, we assure you that your interview round goes well, which is yet another growing step to get this visa in Australia.

*How can we assist you? Please call our number mentioned on the website.